Monday, June 4, 2012

School is Out

     School is out.  The kids no longer trudge up the road from the school bus with heavy book bags.  They play basketball any time day or night, and friends can come over more frequently.  Parents are more relaxed because they do not have to make sure the kids get to school on time or pick them up in the afternoon.
     When I was a kid I tried to run away from home on a Sunday afternoon with my best friend, because I hated that tomorrow was Monday and we had to separate and go back to school.  I took some oranges and apples out of the crisper drawer and put them in a bag in case we got hungry.  Then we started to walk down the long dirt road towards the highway when I suddenly realized that we would not survive on a couple of apples and oranges, no clothing and no money.  So, we turned around and went home.
     Back in the '60 and early '70's we had very few stores here, and we got clothing very seldom.  Shorts were cut offs for the most part.  I used to choose clothes from the little girl section of Sears catalog.  I still remember my navy turtleneck with gold plaid skirt that matched.  I also remember in high school the survival jackets my brother and I got with orange inside and fir lined hoods.  Mine was plum and his was green.
      When we got our first toy store, I was in heaven.  I wished the toy store was open on Sunday.
     I also recall going around the neighborhood with my best friend to visit old people, because they had candy jars and offered us a coke.
     Now as a grownup, I still love this time of year when school is out.  When I was a teacher it meant no work for a while, but I was only a substitute teacher, and I did that between intervals of my other job.
      It is like a dreamy peaceful time of easy going disposition and perfect Spring weather.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment