Sunday, June 17, 2012

Every White Girl Wants a Brother

     OK, I admit it.  Every white girl wants a brother.  I had one, wanted to marry him too, but it did not work out.  I will not tell you how we met, because he does not belong to fb, and I know he is a very private person.
     I went up to New York to live with him.  He came to get me.   It was so beautiful riding up there.  On the way we stopped at a Holiday Inn, where he tried to get the brother
discount from the front desk clerk, another brother.  But, the other brother said "I like my job."  They seemed to get along famously. I am thinking "all black guys like each other?"  But in the room I asked him, "so you liked that guy?"  
     "No, he was a jerk," he said.  "He didn't even give me an extra discount."  My friend who I will call William for anonymity, already got a veteran's discount.
     I was happy at first.  William was very considerate, and not wanting me to be lonely came home during his lunch hour from his executive job which he wore a shirt and tie to each day.  I loved his apartment with its hardwood floors and so clean and roomy.  His taste in colors were different from mine.  He liked earth tones, burgundy and dark green, while I like bright colors I can see.  He made fun of my neon green, spandex jeans while we were doing laundry in the basement of the apartment building, but then said it was because I could see them better.
     So, why did it all go wrong?  One day I asked him to open a jar, and he said, "don't talk to me like that.  People have been talking me like that my whole life."  
     So, from then on I was like "uh, William, uh, can you uh please pass the salt, please, er - Sir?"  
     And, finally he told me I treated him like a "slave,"  because I was assuming as a woman I would get my way about our weekend local travel plans.  I would have been the same regardless of the color of his skin.  I was being myself.  If I treat men like slaves, no one had told me that before.  That was when I lost it and said I wanted to go home.  
     He said, "if you leave, do not come back.  This is not a revolving door, so if I book you a ticket, know that it is one way."  
     I said "fine."
     I never really looked back.  I tried I guess. I did my best but in the end I wanted to go home.

2 comments:

  1. Now there is a book, "How to Avoid Falling in Love With a Jerk." No joke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...Both of our fore-fathers were slaves
    Let us hope they found mercy
    In their bone filled
    grraves." -- Bob Dylan

    ReplyDelete