Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Insert to Chapter 15 (added this to the chapter today)

      Walking through Cambridge, carrying their groceries, towards Daniel's apartment, Bethany asked, "What happened to your father?  You never talk about him?"
     "That is because I virtually don't know him, and he and my mother weren't married.  He just kind of vanished, she said.  Don't remember him.  Then she married Nick's father, and he was like a father.  I was like five when Nick was born, and he stuck around til I was about seven.  He is kind of out of the picture too.  Doesn't pay child support for Nick, so I think he's like in hiding or something.  He wasn't too bad a guy, I guess."
     "Well that's not right, him not paying child support, especially with Nick's medical problems.  So, Nick is your half brother."
     "Yes, but we don't think of each other that way.  He's just my brother period, you know?"
     "Yeah." They were almost to Daniel's front steps to his apartment.  It was cold in the November evening.  Some snow began to fall on the sidewalk.
     "But, the state of Vermont took care of us I suppose, health wise, and with my eye problems, they helped with that, except that I wanted nothing to do with that special vision teacher they sent me at school."
     Daniel was unlocking the door.  They put down their bags on the table.  
     "I guess you didn't want to be singled out huh?," Bethany remarked, taking the groceries out of the bag.  "I kind of wish we ordered pizza or something, got take out pizza, I mean.  I think I'm pretty hungry for real food now, besides apples, cheese and coke."
     "C'm on, I know a place.  Let me just check my money situation."  Daniel looked in his wallet counting his cash.  "Yeah c'm on.  I've got a great place to get the best Boston pizza in the world."
    Bethany grabbed onto Daniel's arm.  He could not see well at night.  He locked the front door, as they were leaving for the restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment