Friday, February 24, 2012

Mental Health

     I do not think I will read any more Jodi Picouldt after reading The Pact: a Love Story about two teenagers who are in love and the girl is severely depressed as well as pregnant, cannot go through with an abortion and also has been molested.  The only person she confides about the pregnancy to is the abortion counselor.  She commits suicide with no one knowing she has been molested which is a separate issue that happened when she either on a dare or accidentally went into a men's restroom.
     Her boyfriend is on trial for murder.  They find out she is eleven weeks pregnant through the autopsy.  
     It was a very frustrating and depressing story.  The boy knows she is suicidal, but they have an insular symbiotic relationship and neither of them know to seek help.
     It is unfortunate but many teenagers are very private and cannot talk to their parents or even boyfriend about something like being molested or being pregnant.  
     I felt the pain of it.  By the grace of God, I have never had an unwanted pregnancy, but I not being special in light of the Course in Miracles, which I study continuously, I in no way judge anyone who has and for that matter has had an abortion.  Like I have said it is a personal matter and a woman's right to choose, so I am in no way self righteous.  I could relate to her not knowing how to handle it being so young and having dreams.  I could also relate as many women can and some men too, about the other part of it.
     It would be nice if kids could talk to their parents about things like this.  Parents can be unavailable, busy, and preoccupied as well as not understanding. 
     I also think it is unhealthy for teenagers to be as wrapped up in each other as these two, but I suppose it is normal.  Well, I do not really mean normal.  I think the word I mean is it is probably more common than realized.
Teenagers can be pretty dramatic and emotional.  
     Suicidal depression is such a state of hopeless pain, that it seems like it is the only answer, especially when someone does not have any resources to get help.
     I have mentioned in other blogs, teen suicide due to bullying and have posted an article which I googled and uploaded to facebook.  
     I realize this is a whole other issue, but I wanted to address it as well.  Although, saying this, I must say that all of these matters consist of young people unable to confide in anyone or get the help and support they need.  It is hard for adults even to get help.  There is shame, misplaced guilt, lack of family support or close friendship or trust.  People gossip and that makes it even harder to confide in anyone besides a professional, but sometimes young people including adults of any age as well as teens and children do not always know how to find help.*
     If you have a problem or know someone who does, there are mental health centers for people without money or insurance as well as those who do.  I know that this country does not have the greatest public mental health system, and most of us cannot afford private counseling or psychiatry, there are options.  Schools have psychologists as well, although teenagers from my own experience as having them, do not like being singled out of class to go see a shrink.  
     The world will always be an imperfect place by far, but ideally we can offer love and support in whatever capacity we can, if our hearts move us to.
     *I am in no way a doctor or psychologist.  Everything stated in this article is merely from subjective and objective experiences as well as reading and research as well as personal experience concerning myself and a close family member and from raising sons, seeing them go through childhood and teen years as well as their friends into manhood.  We have all been children and we have all been teenagers at one time.  It only takes being human to understand such matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment