Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Drum Circle

Tonight Tex Hightower gave an absolutely inspiring talk about meeting Meher Baba long ago at the center, when he was a dance student with Margaret Crask.
I always have enjoyed his stories.  I like the story about him making a blue jacket for Baba which Baba wore to Australia in '56 I believe. 
     Afterwards there was cake at the refectory, and chai as well.  Then Paul and I and other friends went to a drum circle.  I had never been to one before.  I brought my bongos but it was not necessary.  It was really beautiful.  I played one of their drums and lay down in the center.  It was an amazing experience, lying there with the drums beating like a heart beat.  I closed my eyes and emptied my mind, seeing lights all around.  I felt as though I were lifting off the ground and lying on a cloud all at once.  All thought had no meaning, no importance.  All I could hear and feel were the drums and singing and the violin, yet cognitively not registering these thoughts into words or concepts, no concepts.
     Afterwards I sang along, sustained notes as the drumming ebbed and flowed, quieted and began again in symbiotic harmonious flow of rhythm and notes intertwined effortlessly.
     It was a great day all together.  A great night.  I would love to go to a sufi dance if there ever is one around here.  I once went to one in Boulder.  Oh I do not want to get started about Boulder, too intense and very over.  All there is is now.  Now is eternal, beautiful and powerful.  I am here now.  Only now.

No comments:

Post a Comment