Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cyber Bullying

     A while back there was a news story about a mother,
believe it or not, who bullied one of her daughter's friends, making believe she was a teenager on line.  The girl
committed suicide.  This woman was convicted of causing her death.
     Even back in the '70's when I was in middle school, bullying went on, and yes there were suicides then too,
but like child abuse, sexual abuse, teacher abuse and many other issues, these incidents were brushed under the rug.  
     When I was in the seventh grade I was being bullied by a group of girls, only that one year, because in eighth grade, I belonged to a nice little group of about five nice girls who hung out and ate lunch together, and ate in the cafeteria some days and other days we sat outside in the sunny Carolina days and ate our lunch from home.  It was a nice time.  I suppose I was targeted in seventh grade because I was going through a difficult time due to events the summer before and really was not that social, a bit of a loner.  This always causes one to be more of a target.  Friends can be a buffer.  It is sad but true.  Also I felt very sexually harassed by the boys, because they said crude things which disturbed my fragile young mind.  I think this is why when my son David was in middle school, there was a rule against flirting, if using a certain language and for some more sensitive kids it can feel like harassment and is.  It can feel yucky just hearing things, even when no one touches you.  
     My parents had me talk to a friend of the family who was allegedly a psychologist.  He kept referring to the girls who were bullying me as "my friends".  I kept insisting and rightly so, "they are not my friends."  So, he said, "I can't work with you," and I watched him watch television until my parents came to get me.  Some help he was.
     Recently I posted a link about bullying.  It is worse in our technological age of computers and cell phones, because kids cannot just leave it at school.  It comes right home with them to their bedroom.  I have had my feelings hurt on line, I can only imagine how teens and 'tweens must feel with their insecurities and vulnerabilities. 
     Being cruel is always a terrible thing to say the least.  There is a new slogan, "kindness matters", like the Jewel song Hands, in the end only kindness matters.
      It is heartbreaking that these things go on.  This is the kaliuga age, but I feel that the golden age will come, the age of the new humanity, the manifestation.
The new spirituality and wisdom of America's youth, which I believe so much in, will bring it forth.  I feel this strongly.
     So if you know a kid who is being bullied, whether it is your kid or someone else's and you see a chance to help, take it.  No one deserves this mental torment.  It is too much to handle.  I really would like to see an end to it, and I am proud of CNN and Anderson Cooper and others for focusing on these issues at hand.  
     Thank you for taking the time to read this and if you would like to post a comment, please do.  I welcome you to join my blog.  I would love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment