Thursday, May 24, 2012

Different Point of View on the Middle East

     Many of my friends, even the ones who are Jewish as well, seem to be less in alliance with Israel and more sympathetic to Palestine.  For a long time I was really surprised, because I thought being pro-Israel was the only American stand.
     Now I see both sides and I agree that Israel has acted badly and militantly.  I understand about Palestinians not being able to go to their own family homes.  
     I guess I see Israel sympathetically, well not sympathetically exactly, but I feel that if 
WWII never occurred and if it had not been for the Holocaust, the Jews would not have needed a state.  Churchill established Israel in 1948, because the Jews no longer welcome in Europe and unable to go back to their homes and businesses which had been taken over by gentile Germans, French, Dutch wherever in Europe they had lived, needed to have somewhere to go.  Contrary to what many people think they could not come to the U.S. under F.D.R.'s closed door policy.  Ships were turned away at port at the start of the war.  Einstein was an exception because of his knowledge of physics and the making of the atomic bomb, so that he became an honorary professor at Princeton and was paid for people to come and take a walk with him, listening to what he had to say.  Churchill was very sympathetic to the Jews.  When they were in the camps they would say "at least we have Churchill."  And of course they had America and Russia coming eventually after most died to free them.  Churchill's son in law was Jewish.  So, the once British owned Israel became the official state for the Holocaust survivors.
      During the Holocaust the Jews had no choice but to passively take orders be pushed around and abused much like black people in the United States in the early days, only worse because they were being put to death.
Of course black people were often lynched in America for a long time.  
     The African Americans really built America through slavery and then through low paying jobs.  Unfortunately the work the Jews were doing in the concentration camps, which were in the guise of some sort of work camps was just some kind of made up torture work the Nazis came up with.
     I guess I sometimes compare the two peoples because I am Jewish and someone close to me is African American and I more than he like to talk about the trials and tribulations of my people, and he returns with something about the treatment of the black people here in America.  
     At this point I do understand the other point of view about the Middle East, so my opinions are less stable now, so I just support my own country, the United States.
     But, I will say that seeing the events that led to Israel being the state that it is, it does make sense that they are so militant, although I know that it is not justified.  I guess I try to look at the big picture, and I welcome comments, because I realize people form opinions on events of the present more than the past and rightly so.  Also, I realize that abuse and murder of one's ancestors does not justify abusive and murderous behavior.  Having the state of Israel granted is also not reason to make wars with those around, and I realize the establishments of settlements is wrong.

2 comments:

  1. hope you will leave comments if you want to. i have changed settings so hopefully you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is completely untrue roslyn. i can show proof of it. that sounds like anti-semitic propaganda. i have read many books and done much research. the jews could not go home for the most part. the U.S. failed them and so did their own countries in europe. we can agree to disagree but you are historically totally wrong about this.

    ReplyDelete