Monday, January 2, 2012

Why My Blog is Called This

     I wonder if we are all the 'new humanity' in a sense that we are in the future, the new age as opposed to long ago.  I tend to think of our youth as the new humanity.  In my spiritual community, I have watched many children including my own grow into amazing young adults in a time that is difficult: high divorce rate among parents, teen pregnancy, drugs, alcoholism, wars, terrorism, poverty, profanity in rap music, gang cultures, peer pressure, bullying, you name it.
     I am working, just outlining so far a novel called 'American Boys', not sexist, it is just that I have raised boys not girls and have more experience with them, so this novel is in part autobiographical because the fictional characters represent people in my life including me.  But of course I must make myself a little more exciting, for instance, in the story I have no visual impairment and I drive an old pickup.  However it is really based on my sons and their friends and the journey of their lives and hardships.  
     I would like to bring into it Deepak Chopra's spiritual laws which he incorporates into raising children and in child's terms, these are: 1) everything is possible, 2) if you want something, give it, 3) when you make a choice you change the future, 4) do not say no, say how?, 5) when you make a wish, you plant a seed, 6) enjoy the journey, and 7) you are here for a reason.
     Since my children are grown, I cannot try this out, but I have been told my kids turned out pretty well under my care.  I know I could have been a better mother, but all we have is now.  Now is everything.
     If I were to write about American girls, I would have to refer back to my own unusual childhood and high school years to my more typical college years of roommates and dating a steady boyfriend, dances, academia, friendships, partying, bonding etc..  But, that was like a whole other life.
     I was at a workshop, ACIM workshop and this guy was singing about loving yourself and knowing yourself and here I was holding my heart chakra sitting on the front row next to my girlfriend Kathleen, and tears are just streaming from my eyes, because the whole idea of loving yourself was almost taboo in my time misconstrued as being a narcissist.  Of course now we know that this is false, like Freud's belief that everything was the mother's fault, a psychiatrist who is quoted saying he did not like schizophrenics.  He himself found this ironic with him being a psychiatrist. He said he 'did not like these patients'.
     Back to the new humanity.  As I said I see these young people as the seed of the future, holding gifts for the future to make it bright with their music, poems, science, art.  We watch them bloom with creativity, beauty, passion, fervor and energy.  And all I can do is cheer them on.





3 comments:

  1. The title of your novel, "American Boys," is great! Glad to see you on the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Chris. i'm glad you like my title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm looking forward to having more time to work on it.

    ReplyDelete