Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Already the New Humanity

     Many people from my generation and
other generations as well have grown up 
without learning how to love and value, to
really respect oneself.  We grew up with
rejection, criticism, belittling, even from
parents and teachers.  Not many people grew
up like the Clevers on 'Leave it to Beever'.
     Depok Chopra wrote a book on raising 
children with the seven spiritual laws which I
posted in my article about why I called this 
blog, 'The New Humanity'.  Depok Chopra
says in the book 'The Ultimate Happiness 
Prescription,' that "the issues are in the tissues."
     In essence, what he means is that when we
grow up with depressed, unhappy or angry
parents, it gets stored in the nerve synapses.
He has talked about this in other books I have
read.  
     Teachers put us down in school, some praised
us.  When my younger son was in elementary
school his fourth and fifth grade teacher Mr.
Finney praised his intelligence.  He read at an
adult level in fourth grade.  
     I had nice teachers, but I also had one or 
two that mocked me, made fun of me to my face
and behind my back, mainly my home economics
teacher.  It was a vulnerable time for me because
I was still maturing physically and emotionally,
and I wanted to be accepted and liked by my
peers, mostly other girls, not laughed at.  
Ironically there are things I remember that 
teacher telling us about being careful of bent
cans and food poisoning, and when I am in
the grocery store, I still press both top and 
bottom of a can to make sure a tiny hole does
not make it pop, meaning air got in.  It is
also ironic that I liked to sew until my eyes
got too bad, when my sewing is what she 
made fun of among other things.  Go figure.
Even at the Commission for the Blind, in my
home management class, I made couch pillows for
my mother with every stitch neat and even and
by hand.
     Some mental illnesses cannot be prevented,
like schizophrenia.  It is an organic brain disease
which no one could prevent, just a misfortune,
but I like to think in terms of recovery for all
diseases, rather than being negative.  Sometimes
family members become scared, guilty, depressed,
hopeless and alone.  I know from experience
with someone I love with all my heart.  
     There is hope for everyone, no matter how
bad it seems.  There is a light down the end of
the tunnel.  
      So, I always stray from my topic which was
that in this new humanity, I have hope and 
faith, that teachers, parents and caregivers will
realize the importance of self-respect, feeling
good about oneself. 
     When my kids were teens I recall teen-age
girls who hung out and had eating disorders,
drug problems, etc., beautiful young women
who did not love themselves or see how beautiful
they were inside and out, parents preoccupied, 
etc..  I know these things do not just go away.
It has taken me a long time to learn to love 
myself and what I hope for my sons is that 
they will love themselves and respect themselves.
No one deserves to be treated as less than.
Everyone has a right to have a voice and be
heard and be seen.  Again I say,  cheer the 
youth on, for they are the key to a beautiful
bright future, the new humanity.  Love to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment