Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dhuni

     A couple of months ago I was at a dhuni  at the beach.  At first I was scared because it seemed like we were in the middle of nowhere, and I cannot see in the dark.  The sun was going down.  I imagined running into deliverance people, but it was actually a wonderful experience.  I got to sing a lot, and everyone knows I love to sing and play the guitar. That is why I like watching 'Cold Case,' all the great '80's music
they play.
     At the dhuni, which is a ceremony in which
a group of people have a fire, (I am explaining
for my non-Baba follower friends) and sticks
which each person kneels down at the fire to
throw in representing impressions or sanscaras,
attachments, one in particular.  
     I always found in the past when they did this
in India, that whatever I threw in turned around
to be even more intense and a source of suffering.
     We sat on blankets.  Someone brought food.
It was cold there on the beach, but bundled 
up, once I felt settled in or out, however you
look at it,  I felt warm inside, except I wish 
I had warmer pants or long underwear.  
     I felt like teenagers minus the beer and pot.
I hesitated but threw in a stick.  Wow.  As I
knew it got heavy soon in my life, but the karma
burned like wild fire, I tell you.
     My friend Nancy took photos which I will 
share and so kindly brought my son Ted and me.
The beach was magical with the sun going 
down.  I am not afraid of the dark, only the complete
lack of vision except for light.  I could see 
the fire for sure and anything hit directly by it,
although dimly.  I just wanted to share a fun
spiritual experience. I want to thank Nancy Furgal for the photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment