Saturday, March 31, 2012

Radical Forgiveness

     Sometimes difficult situations and relationships can tempt us into the traps of the ego.  Before we know it, we are swimming in it.  Forgiveness, in terms of the Course in Miracles and the Holy Spirit thought system is corrected perception, asking God to help me see this differently.  Forgiveness is connected to atonement, in Course in Miracles terms, the realization that we were never really separate from God.  This is the 'tiny mad idea.'  The truth is we were always part of God and never separate.
     When I feel hurt by someone and we all know family matters can be some of the hardest, I have to turn it over to God, saying "God help me see this differently."  This concept is radical forgiveness and easier said than done.  Even if forgiveness is hard or impossible in the ego mind, stillness and calm or non-reaction rather than lashing out in a cry for love at our 'enemies' so to speak, for lack of a better word, not a Course in Miracles term, retreating is the best course.  Sometimes it is necessary to take action in some cases.  If someone physically harms you, by all means call the police, press charges, carry mace if you need to protect yourself, but know all the while that love holds no grievances.
     Therefore, live in the world but not of it.  If forgiveness seems impossible, turn it over and let God handle it.  Thy will not mine...
     When I say enemies, the 23rd Psalm of King David comes to mind.  Thou hast prepared a table for me in the presence of my enemies...  I also love the earlier part:  and ye though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the Lord is thy rod and thy staff.
     To me, the essence of this is trust God.  People have suffered and died saying these very words, and I believe in Heaven.  I really do.  Love to all.  Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment