Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Hugo, What a Great Film, Stunning Just Stunning

     Today I saw the Martin Scorsese film on DVD, Hugo, a bit Harry 'Potteresque', but easier to follow.  I sat right up to the television so I could see.  I cried at the end.
     If you have not seen it, it is also very Charles Dickens in style, reminded me of Oliver Twist.  It had the orphan theme.  It was so well made, set in Paris after WWI.  It had so many dimensions, films within the film, dreams within the dream, machine-like and human at once, surreal and real at once.
      It has humor, pathos, romance and is absolutely exquisitely beautiful to watch in its gorgeous cinematography.  Every scene is like a classic Rembrandt painting.
     The so-called bad guys, like the policeman, end up good in the end, all good, and so cleverly written as far as dialogue.
     The little boy with his brown hair, bangs and blue eyes looks so much like my son David as a little boy of that age, eight, nine or ten.
     Next to The English Patient, it is my all time favorite film now, right up with Patch of Blue and Mildred Pierce.
     On a note of humor, whenever I mention The English Patient, it is like Seinfeld when Elaine hated that movie.  They will say, "oh the one with the guy in bed sick the whole time?," or "all I remember was someone in a cave with the flashlight going out," but I saw it again recently and it is truly a classic.
     If you have not yet, I strongly suggest you see Hugo.  I also strongly suggest you do not see Hangover II.
     I only took one film class under Theater where we watched movies, listened to lectures and wrote reports about, when I attended Lander University, my freshman year.  That was when I was introduced to Buster Keaton.  There is a scene in Hugo where the two kids go to a Buster Keaton movie, and the hanging from a clock scene was another theme relayed in Hugo.  Interesting film making.  My brother has a degree from the University of Southern California in film making, and worked in the film industry and made many films as well as a feature film called The Setting Sun, which he wrote and directed.  He is the film expert.  Now he also has a Masters Degree in philosophy.  I just like to dabble a little bit in everything.
     Mostly this film made me cry in the end.  It was very touching.  Beautiful movie I must say, at least in my opinion. I hear the critics gave four stars and it won some awards for 2011 films.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment