Thursday, April 4, 2013

What is Happening to America as We Know It?

     "Readin' the news, and it all looks   
     bad, they won't give peace a chance..."
                                         Joni Mitchell       (California, from the Blue album)

      I suppose I think myself nonpartisan, so I am not blaming any political party that I know of, but I am worried about certain problems this country is facing, and how it will turn out.
     I know that worrying is no good, not helpful, but there is so much disturbing news, although I am glad they are finally addressing the gun control problem, to some degree.
     Here are the things I am finding disturbing: 1) the postal service may be going under.  I cannot even begin to say what a crisis that would be.  I discussed it with my own postal delivery person today.  He said that obviously he did not want it going under.  Look how many jobs are at stake, and how many people you or I may know who do or have worked for USPS.  
     2) They want to put more restrictions on food stamps, the snap program, which is federal, so country folk cannot buy a candy bar or a bag of potato chips, nor city folk for that matter.  That is just wrong.  
     3) The mental health system is suffering, the public mental health system, including psychiatric hospitals and an overall lack of beds, and in mental health centers, a lack of doctors as well, because mental health center doctors can work off student loans, but are not getting rich, the way that private practice psychiatrists and physicians can.
     And finally, and I realize this is not our country's own fault, 4) North Korea is either bluffing in their threats towards The United States or not, but are most likely, not bluffing, when it comes to South Korea.  This is unfortunate, because our country is so depleted by Iraq, Afghanistan, and we cannot police the world on and on.  But, the threat from North Korea is a serious matter.
     Finally, 5) I am tired as many of you, of corporate welfare, especially when they complain about a guy buying a snickers bar on food stamps.
     What are we going to do?  What will happen to us?  I love America as much as the next person.  Would love your commentary.    
               

2 comments:

  1. it's called the systematic collapse of western civilization. this planet is facing an energy crisis. we are running out of oil and things are only going to get worse. services will shut down, prices will increase, people will become more fearful of each other, crime witll escalate. this list goes on and on. sorry. but that is the harsh reality. the world is at a crossroads.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. north korea is not a serious matter at all. that is what the government wants you to believe to divert your attention away from the real threat. the energy crisis.

    ReplyDelete