Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Discrimination and Inconsideraton

     I realize I have no idea what racial discrimination is like, but having been very close to a man who was African American, (he had been my fiance at one time, a few years ago), I know how someone black, growing up in the south, can have some bad experiences to recall.
     Now, reading Condoleezza Rice's autobiography, growing up in Birmingham, Alabama, then later the family moving to Denver Colorado, her having been a teenager in the sixties, I have been thinking about it now.  It sounds like her father was a really determined man, and her mother very strong as well.
     My only experience of difficulty is being visually impaired.  Sometimes some jerk will make a rude remark, someone will not understand if I run into them, and once in a while I will find a person in business who is not helpful, nor understanding when it comes to filling out paper work.  But, since I have a friend who is the president of the Federation for the Blind, for South Carolina, a blind attorney and politician, ran for Congress as a Democrat, but lost, as usually is the case with blind people, I pull out that card.  I realize I am bluffing at times, but I do think people with visual impairments suffer a lot of lack of help and understanding at times.
     

2 comments:

  1. Walking in some else`s shoes is not easy. Walking in our own isn't always, but at least it is familiar. Yet understanding and compassion for our self and for others comes more easily after taking those steps in the other person's shoes.

    ReplyDelete