Friday, April 19, 2013

Pain; What is Pain?, and How do We Deal With It?

 (The first two paragraphs are not really related to the Boston Marathon bombing.  I had another train of thought, when I wrote these, so I am sorry for the misunderstanding I may have created.  I was really speaking about pain, anger and hurt in general, and talking about things in ACIM, as well as Meher Baba's teachings, which are confusing to me in terms of certain circumstances.  I think anger can be justified, and pain, real.)
     When people attack us, hurt us, they are crying for love.  When we get angry, it is our ego, and nothing else, that is offended, even if love may be our compass for pain, as well as past experience.
     I am conflicted now, because Meher Baba said that suffering is 90% self inflicted.  I am not sure if this is true.  Baba said suffering was spiritual, and in a sense, Christian doctrine makes us feel this way as well, especially Catholicism.   
     As much as some Course in Miracles, believers, teachers and those who study, say that it is just all illusion, there is no way for an empathetic, normal person, to not feel terrible for those who suffer in disasters, natural and otherwise, like the Boston Marathon bombing, you cannot just think that way.  I cannot.  It is inappropriate to think so flippantly in such a situation.
     As I said, anger fuels so many bad events, and things to be ashamed of.  The ego causes anger, and without ego, truth can come to prevail.  Of course we all have ego, and we must to live, but if I choose love, and the Holy Spirit, rather than judgment, I am always better off.
     Still, we must feel empathy.  A psychopath, someone incapable of empathy, is the type of person capable of killing and maiming, the normal, healthy person, rightly, cannot understand.  No amount of resentment or anger, in the normal person, can account for such behavior, such hate, such evil. And, according to Marianne Williamson, ACIM writer, speaker and scholar, there is such thing as evil, although it may be in the world of forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment