Saturday, April 13, 2013

Supporting Our Troops

     It is good to remember veterans and help whenever possible.  I am reading the 2009 best seller, Home Front by Kristin Hannah.  She is a little like Jodi Picouldt, but more humor to her serious fiction writing, or perhaps it is the reader.
     Like my novel, American Boys, it takes place during the Iraq war.  Some of it takes place in Iraq, since the mother in the story is a soldier.  It is a little sad, because she has to leave her two girls with her husband, who has recently told her he no longer loves her.
     In my story, I wrote Adrien's Story, about the best friend of Daniel, the older son, and Adrien goes to Iraq and gets killed.  In my story, the White family are not military, but there is a family who is.  Daniel cannot go to Iraq, because he has retinitis pigmentosa, but suffers the loss of his friend, and Lizzy's best friend's son.  Of course, Lizzy and Jill have drifted apart, because their lives have become so different.  The loss of Adrien, brings Lizzy close to Jill again in Jill's grief.  
      Even if one does not believe in what America might be doing, once someone joins the army they have no choice but to go to war or go to jail.  It is important to support our troops.  
     I want peace, and I think we all do, but somehow it must be seen as keeping America safe.  That is how I feel.  
     Now we are under the threat of North Korea, and it is really scary.  I hope that we can maintain peace.
     It is interesting that this novel contains similar popular things, such as XBOX, War of the Worlds, and others of the times, especially a few years back, although my novel is a little more political.  I think it is always good to stand behind one's country, and support the troops.  It could be your brother, sister, daughter, son, mother, father, husband, wife or friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment