Saturday, August 24, 2013

Writing Horrow Takes Boldness


     I can see why Ann Rice became a Christian, having written, Interview With a Vampire and Queen of the Damned.  It takes courage to write horror, with all the superstitions of religion.
     Having had nightmares of a presence that was not welcome, finding myself awakening to my own voice, calling "Mother Theresa," I think there is something strange out there.
     If there is a higher power, there could be a lower power, or someone told me that once.  I think we have all felt a presence once or twice that was not welcome.  Meher Baba followers may call out his name.  Christians may say, "Satan I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ," and the new age like me, do Reiki and surround themselves with white light or burn sage like the Cherokees.  I have done all of these.
     Tarot cards are not evil, and the death card does not mean death.  I do not do tarot readings, but have had them read for me a few times.
      In many of the horror short stories, the devil is attractive, foreign, even sexy, and sometimes even a romance. 
      In Stephen King's The Stand, of which I read the uncut, forty something hour version, I thought it ironic that the devil was a guy named, Randal Flag, such an ordinary name.  The bad guy always has no lines in his palms, in King's books.
     I always thought the rape of Nadine by Randal Flag to be grotesque, and wondered curiously why she screamed so when she saw his male part.  Even the uncut book, unedited, would not say so. 
     Did anyone read Needful Things by Stephen KIng?  There is a car theme in his books as well, and like Poe, he wrote drunk, such as Cujo, in fact in a black out, although King is sober now.  That one is waiting in my stack of talking books for the blind, to knock it out once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment