Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Alternative Medicine is Good but Not Available or Affordable to All/ And Not For Everything

     As a reiki master, I have mixed feelings about the holistic health movement, which has actually been going on for about thirty-five years, so not anything new.
     1} People cannot afford to pay for alternative health modalities if they are poor, because public health care programs do not pay for it.  Medicare pays for chiropractic, but not Medicaid, usually, and that is about it.  2} Sometimes people really need antibiotics or chemo-therapy.  It is not always the answer. 
     For these reasons, I could not finish Deepak Chopra's book, Reinventing the Body.  With all due respect to Dr. Chopra, I felt it was a bit elitist to say that people who do not use alternative health measures, are not enlightened.  I put it back in the box, and I returned it to the library for the blind, where I ordered it from.  I like many of his other books, of course.
     Reiki is amazing in its power when you are a true healer.  Herbs are also incredible in their healing power, but these are not always available to everyone.  Also, neither reiki nor herbs, alone, can treat every ailment and disease.  Reiki can always help at some point, either hands on or long distance, but it cannot set a bone or cure cancer, on its own.  Even a holistic doctor told me to 'go to the doctor to get antibiotics' for a kidney infection, before ending up in the hospital, she said, 'on intravenous antibiotics.'

No comments:

Post a Comment