Thursday, July 18, 2013

Do Cruel and Truly Evil People Have Souls?

     I am wondering a theological question, which most Christians and Meher Baba followers, already have an answer to.  They say yes.  The Christians would say, "yes, but they are damned unless they get salvation and redemption," and a Hindu or Baba follower would say, "they just have to work the karma out in another life."  
     Still, for me, knowing that some policemen in South Carolina, hit a WWII veteran in the eyes, in the forties, who happened to be black, and coming back from the war, still in uniform, and made him blind, I find it hard to believe they could have had souls.  It happened in the forties, of course, and was 'the blinding of Isaac Woodard,' who I have shared a picture of, being led up a hotel stairway, by two other men, one a prize fighter, I believe.  He moved to New York, after the incident, and after losing his case in South Carolina, due to an all white, biased jury, who did not care, obviously, about this man, who had come back from the war in one piece, and then got blinded by the police, after serving his country.  Woodie Guthrie wrote a song called, The Blinding of Isaac Woodard.
     I know it is outrageous, but now I am wondering if any assholes have souls.  I am so upset about what that Zimmerman guy did to Trayvon Martin, I am wondering if he has a soul, but I have a feeling life may not be too pretty for him now, not to sound too vengeful. The point is that a kid's life was taken, an unarmed kid at that, and now his parents are grieving.  And, on top of that, they get no justice.   
     I once introduced a friend to another friend.  She did not care for her, for some reason.  She said, "did you see her eyes?"
     I said, "what do you mean?  What about her eyes?"
     My friend shook her head ominously, and said, "there was nothing behind them."
     I said, "what are you talking about?"
     She said, "they were just empty.  You could not see into them."
     Now I think she is being ridiculous.  I said, "are you trying to say she has no soul?"
     My friend nodded, really slow and serious.
     I said, "what ever do you mean?  Everyone has a soul!"
     She shook her head, really slow and serious again.  "There's not enough to go around."
     Now, I know this is all kind of silly, and I am sure she was wrong, but I got the creeps from the idea.  But, she could have been projecting a lot, and been a bit loopy, herself.       I mean, I have met people, who I found sort of vacant or obtuse, but I never assumed anything like that, but maybe felt they were not all there.  That is another story, not to do with not having a soul.
     I read a blog about this, which I googled, because I wanted to see what others were thinking and saying, so I read some Christian blog, which came up.  I did not comment or join.  
     Many evil serial killers and so forth, are so cruel, that it seems they do not have a right to live, but on the other hand, is it really right to take their life?  Some liberal states, such as Connecticut, have outlawed the death penalty, as well as New York and Massachusetts, unless it goes federal, like the surviving Boston Marathon bomber.
     Still, I ponder, without doctrine of any kind, how such 'soulless' people can have souls, sometimes.  Actually, for me, it is a new thought.  I am in doubt of humanity now, and not feeling positive.  Perhaps I should change the name of my blog to There is No Humanity or There is Little Humanity, a Rare Thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment