Saturday, January 19, 2013

Getting Older Can Be a Good Thing

     Some of the most amazing people have done dumb things when they were young, including me.  I have spent much time regretting bad decisions, relationships that were a time waste and drained me, not being a good enough mother, saying 'yes' when I should have said 'no.'
     As we get older, we do not have as much energy, that is those fifty and over like me.  There is nothing wrong with resting when one is tired.
     When I was younger, I had too much nervous energy, and that is typical.  I was traveling, going to school, working, raising kids, having crazy relationships, being a drama queen.  Now, I am quiet and reflective in my life style.  I do yoga, read, write, sing and meditate.  I spend time alone, and it really does not bother me.
     I am reading The Age of Miracles by Marianne Williamson.  I feel good knowing that she made mistakes too.  I thought she was perfect, back when I was at my worst.  She is a little older than me.  I am not quite a baby boomer, too young to be, but I am at a midlife point, and I am not nearly as desperate as I used to be for love, to not be abandoned.  I do not live in fear anymore.  I know I could have been much happier then if I had known what I know now, but many women are effected by hormones, the urge to procreate, to have a mate, to nest, to have a family, to make money, to have a career, to choose the right guy.  So many things there are to deal with.  It is a wonder we do not all go crazy.  In a way we do.  I mean everyone has problems.
     Another thing I like about getting older is 'cleaning house,' letting go of people, places and things that do not serve me, and having more energy for people who are really important to me like my kids.  
     I have spent much ill spent time, advising people with their endless drama.  You get to a point where you do not need this baggage.  It is not that you do not want to help anyone, but you do not want to be drained by 'emotional vampires.'
     Lastly, as people get older, they do not want to waste time on relationships that will not go anywhere.  I don't want to.  It gets old, and we finally realize we don't want to do this same old dance forever.  I have a good sense of intuition about men now, and not getting or staying involved inappropriately.  
     Some people my age want to perpetuate these same old scripts, but not me.  I am not codependent anymore, and I do not need any relationship to define or complete me.  I can be happy in myself.
     Now is the time to be selfish in a positive way.  Instead of saying yes, yes, yes, I can now say no.  And, sometimes I can say yes if I want to.
     That is all for now.  Much love and namaste.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, that is very true. And, when we think we have made mistakes, there is always someone who makes worse ones or has made worse ones, and our suffering is never the worst of anyone either. Even if we cannot forgive our own self, God forgives us, and sees us as innocent. Whatever we go through, we are better for it, even if it feels bad looking back. We can let it go, and just remember the love that existed in every situation, even in its most minimal way, it being there. In this way, the past can be healed, and not so terrible looking back.

    ReplyDelete