Friday, January 11, 2013

About Writing

     Writing, even just a blog, can be a lonesome endeavor.  I also read a lot, and one author of one of the Abraham Lincoln biographies I am reading, spends the whole introduction explaining that he did not plagiarize, which he was accused of.  It is difficult not to, when writing historical fiction, because one has to do research from other people's books.  I had to do the same when I wrote my historical fictional article, Adrien's Story, an addendum to the book I wrote, American Boys.  Adrien is a detailed journal of a fictitious character, who is a soldier in Operation Iraqi Freedom, and how he gets killed, this part in third person.  I had to study the history of the Iraq war, the places, the geography of Iraq, the death toll, the events, the dates, the Muslim holidays, holy days, the battles, as well as reading some historical fiction in excerpts on the Iraq war.
     It was an exhausting process and my eye got infected, my good eye, from eye strain from doing online research.
     I have a new idea for a project that entails music and writing both, but I do not want to give it away.  I would like it if I had a collaboration partner, who knows music and is familiar with the philosophy I want it to be about.  I really liked the Broadway musical, Rent, loved the songs.  I saw it on DVD form, and was quite taken with it.
     I had a song writing partner for a little while, but we went separate ways.  I would like to try that again.  It was a lot of fun, and we even choreographed and danced one song, that actually he wrote and choreographed to tell the truth, but I was very cooperative, and we put on a good show with a drummer, pianist, and the drummer joined us in the end, the three of us standing even distance apart across the stage, singing, I wanna be near you, I wanna be near, I wanna be near you, I wanna be.
     I guess I feel a bit like no one takes me seriously sometimes, that I can actually accomplish what I hope to, but I know I have it in me, that is if laziness does not defeat me.

No comments:

Post a Comment