Tuesday, June 11, 2013

More Thoughts on Writing

     I saw a post on facebook the other day.  It said, "I wrote my novel, because I wanted to read it."  I forget what author said it, but it is a good point.  Stephen King says he reads his writing, and his wife Tabatha's as well.
     When you write, of course you have to read your writing.  My father wrote books.  My parents wrote a short book together, with the help of Jal, Meher Baba's brother, called,
Beautiful Souls in Ugly Cages, about the lepers, in India.  
     My brother also wrote a book, called The Cosmology of Change, a Simpler Explanation, having to do with quantum physics.
     My mother, years ago, said to me, "I'll pay you to read my book."  
     I said, "you don't have to pay me to read it.  I was planning to read it anyway."  
     This was before it was published, her book with Barbara Bamberger Scott, Love Bade Me Welcome.  She said, "I mean to edit it."  
     I guess it is kind of funny, that I actually thought she was saying she would pay me, just to read it.
     It reminds me of a joke, where this guy hijacks a plane, and the pilot says, "I'll do anything."  
     And, the guy says, "I just want you to listen to me read some of my poetry."
     Everyone who is a fiction writer, and who is an American, (unless they are a generic romance writer or something, just in it for the money, not that there's anything wrong with money, since everyone has to make a living) wants to write the great American novel, for example, Moby Dick.
     I guess, in a way I wanted American Boys, to be at least a great American novel.  I wanted it to be a book, realistically about the problems of the times, focused around the Iraq War, like many books have been focused in the periphery of WWII, and WWI, even Viet Nam, and now much fiction has been written about Operation Iraqi Freedom, although one must research the actual history, details, and statistics, in order to do that, which of course I did, but my book was not just taking place in Iraq.  In fact, only a small part of it takes place in Iraq, and a very small part in actual combat.
     There are some amazing authors like Joyce Carol Oates, author of The Gravedigger's Daughter, and now I am reading short stories by Alice Munro.  She is a bit morose, like Mahler to composing, and in fact she references his composition, Death of Children.  I also find these authors a bit anti-male.  It is understandable why women become that way, especially if we have had bad experiences.
     I like to write, and need to take some time away, away from my computer, to just enjoy the fresh air, beach and sunshine.  I need to get out and meet people, and stop hiding away like a vampire.  It's summer upon us, so I am going to let my book, finally truly be finished, and not just keep saying so, and then going back to it.  I will try, anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment