Monday, February 25, 2013

Interesting Facts on WWII

     Some surprising new facts about WWII, have now come to my attention.  Recently, I read some historical fiction, read aloud by the author, Elizabeth Berg, Dream When You're Feeling Blue.  The WWII soldiers were writing letters back home, and they, the Americans I mean, sounded much like my war story character, Adrien and his experience in Iraq, which I researched.
     Of course, we all know that WWII was fought for good reason, at least our side.  I recently learned that Australia, that tried to stay neutral, ended up involved as well, on our side of course.
     With all its military spending, war is still as rough as it ever was, for lack of a better word, timelessly scary, violent, hostile and without luxury to say the least, in the roughest conditions.  The drone strikes, new technology, are another story, but very cruel in that they kill and mame the innocent, not just bad guys.  In fact, they probably kill many more innocent, including kids, as you have probably seen pictures posted by activists on facebook.
     I had always thought that only the Japanese were interned in the U.S. by F.D.R., during WWII.  However, I was discussing this with my brother, who sent me a link that it was also Germans, then later another link about Italian internment as well.  Of course, these were not concentration camps, like overseas, but they were not great, of course.  They could be with their family, go to war, if you want to call that a privilege.  I suppose it is.   However, it seems that there was a lot of hatred towards the Japanese, even American Japanese veterans, unfortunately, here in the States.
     Also, another point of interest, is that the CIA brought certain Nazi scientists to the states, to live on a base, imprisoned but with good conditions, family and all they needed, to build and design rockets, etc..
     Although Russia has always been one of our great allies, like England, the U.S. has been in much competition with them, and although the Cold War was long, long ago, the early sixties, Mitt Romney was acting like they were still a threat.  
     A guy once told me, and he may be wrong, that we never went to the moon, just filmed all that in New Mexico or something, at night.  I said, "what was the point in that?"  I do not necessarily believe this.  I just wondered what would be to gain from that.
     He said, "they wanted Russia to waste money doing the same thing."  This does not make a lot of sense to me.  It is kind of funny though.

No comments:

Post a Comment