Sunday, February 3, 2013

Abraham Lincoln was a Great President

     I did not go see Lincoln, since CNN said it was not a good source of American History.  However, I did see the Bin Laden movie, and am now reading a book on that subject.  I will get back to you on comparisons, where that is concerned, if either can be trusted truly.  But, after finishing the very long biography, With Malice toward None: A Life of Abraham Lincoln by Stephen B. Oates, I am very, very touched at what a beautiful man Abraham Lincoln was, and Mary Lincoln, a jealous, emotional, but very smart and inwardly beautiful woman, as well.
     I had been historically snobby, but I was really coming from a place of more ignorance than I would like to admit, due to intellectual cynicism, which lacks true research, just jargon and hearsay, which is not fair.  Abraham Lincoln really was for emancipation of slavery, saving the union, and Mary's best friend was African American.  Mary did much to help the black people as well.
     I guess I had not given Lincoln biographies a fair chance in the past, because the talk in the beginning among politicians, sounded racist by today's standards, but I have to say Lincoln was anything but racist.
     I found it funny that General Grant would go to battle drunk.  He was very grieved by Lincoln's assassination, as were everyone, especially Mary.  They had been through so much with the death of one of their three sons, when he was just a child.
     Now, I guess I better knock out this Manhunt... by Peter L. Bergen, on the other subject.  Then maybe on to some entertaining fiction again.  By the way, I use this picture of me for historical and political articles, because it is the closest I have to looking 'professorial.'  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment