Saturday, September 7, 2013

Why I Enjoy Watching Episodes of the Original Twilight Zone and HItchcock Presents

     Yes, as the title states, I like to watch these shows on Netflix.  Of course they are not all I watch, but what I prefer as of late.  The reasons are a few.  For one, many of The Twilight Zone episodes are pieces of famous great literature.  Some have much meaning, such as, The Obsolete Man.
     The meaning is what we are dealing with in the world today.  Any state that does not value the work and right of human beings, whether they be a librarian, a nurse, or a teacher, has no real value, and is meaningless.  In this case, where the individual is not valued, the state is what is obsolete.  This kind of crazy thinking is also a theme in the famous Twilight Zone episode narrated by Rod Sterling as they all are, entitled, Eye of the Beholder, the one where a beautiful woman's face is in bandages, and the doctors and nurses take them off, and she is still beautiful, but she is considered a freak, while they are the ones who really are.  Meanwhile the supreme leader is on the television, in the hospital hallway, where everyone, doctors and nurses smoke of course, as in the early sixties, even later, speaking about the 'rules of conformity.'
     Aside from the deeper reasons, I enjoy seeing how things were in 1961, when most of these were made, and the year I was born.  I have a fascination with how people dressed, behaved, acted, etc., during the time my parents were young.  The women seem downright histrionic, and the men sure wore their pants high wasted, lol.  Maybe that will come back, high wasted pants for men.  I'm sure GQ has some male model in Italian pants like that, even now, the equivalent to Vogue, although the owner of Maxim, one of the richest men in Scotland, said "GQ is for men who like socks better than sex." 
     Speaking of Vogue, I was once in Barnes & Noble with a girlfriend, and I had a sprained ankle, so while I was sitting, I asked my girlfriend to bring me a magazine.  It was Vogue.  I said, "can't you bring me something more realistic like Lucky or Jane?"  LOL. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment