Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Materialism

     We live in a world of materialistic values.  I have had friends who were extremely materialistic.  I still do.  If I were to subscribe to their values, however, I would be screwed.
     I admit that I would love to have a more beautiful house.  I only had a beautiful house for two years, aside from the modest, but lovely home, I grew up in.  Some people, however, like a friend of mine, only get to have a child for two years.  My friend's child died.  It is obvious what is more important.
     Still, we weigh and value people by what they own, drive, live in. We even gage their intelligence on this, because had they been stupid, would they not have made choices as bad as mine?  Truthfully, I have known people who were poor, but highly intelligent, so that is not the case.  You cannot take your 'shit' with you when you die.  It won't fit in your ivory coffin.  So, realize that even if you want to keep up with the Jones's, it is not worth it.  Do not compromise oneself for others' beliefs.  If you are comfortable or not, remember that all the wealth in the world, cannot necessarily bring more than glamour.  Perhaps, with Hollywood and everything else, glamour is what we are driven by.  It is only lies we tell ourselves that make us unhappy. 
     I think I would miss the convenience and ethnic diversity of my neighborhood, as well as the true richness of life, if I were to move to a fancy dwelling.  Happiness does not lie in the ivory towers of the mind.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment