Monday, July 1, 2013

Jobs, Jobs, Jobs/ My Thoughts on the Economy and How Could Things be Better?

     Have you been to Walmart lately.  Here in Horry County, it is now messy and understaffed.  A friend of mine, who is also visually impaired, went and asked for a greeter job, like they used to have elderly people do.  Disability for blind people is very little, and when you have a family, it is barely enough to get by.  You are allowed to work some, to supplement your income.  I have a friend in Charleston, South Carolina, who is totally blind, on disability, and is able to work for Verizon, in costumer service.  We met at the S.C.C.B., while I was finishing 'adjustment to blindness,' and he was taking the Jaws computer program, which enables the completely blind, to use computer, because it has a voice, electronic voice, as many computers have built in, but created specifically for the blind.  
     Back to Walmart, they told my friend they no longer hired greeters.  
     According to Congressman Rice, his slogan is 'jobs, jobs, jobs,' but where are these jobs?  Many people are still out of work.  He is in favor of these Russian kids coming over to Horry County and taking American citizens' jobs.  I know, because I was randomly, I suppose randomly, selected to participate in a town hall meeting via telephone.  Perhaps I was selected, because I have a land line, and am established, a long term resident and voter.
     Small businesses are the way to go, but
will they survive Obamacare?  I mean, if South Carolina ever passes the new health care, would it make it harder for small businesses to employ people, if they have to insure everyone?  I remember, back in the late seventies and early eighties, when I first started working, most places offered insurance plans.  I worked at Belk's in '86, with full benefits, but that was full time.  
     From what I have read about the hippie commune days, some people had to pay to join a commune, and the money would go into the house, farm, etc..  I suppose if someone was destitute, they could join for free.  I was too young to be a part of the hippie generation, even though some people think I am a hippie now.  However, I was never into free love, or drugs, not that everyone in a commune was either.  
     People complain about capitalism, but would they really like it if it were like the old Soviet Union, where people waited in line to buy one pair of shoes, that did not even fit, and then went around trying to trade them for ones that did?
     I guess the idea is to be pragmatic, and I think there is definitely a problem with the health care system, for many people, and I hope the new health care laws will be the answer.  
     Parnell Diggs, an attorney, public figure, who ran for Congress, as a Democrat, and happens to be blind, says on a Youtube video of an interview on TV, that when a blind person and a sighted person, with the same qualification, apply for a job, history has proven again and again, that the sighted person gets the job.  
     I was trying to purchase a Latin America calling card, at Bi-Lo, last spring, and I was trying to find an employee who could read Spanish, who could read me the instructions on the card.  There was not one bilingual person, working in that store.  I complained to the top manager, and he said they had one manager who knew Spanish, but I know the one he means, and he is not even Hispanic.  I asked him if they were discriminating against legal Hispanics.  Of course, he said, "oh no, we do not discriminate against anyone."  I do not believe him.  But, he was nice enough, so I am not going to bother about it.  Perhaps, not many Hispanics here, are legal, but the kids are, which is good, because they have to go to school.  I mean the ones born here, but the ones not born here have to go to school, as well, of course.  
     The thing about Mexicans, is that, most do not want to stay forever.  They really want to go home to Mexico, just want to earn some money first.  This is not always the case.  Also, things are so dire for them, that many die, who try to cross the border, because it is much longer than thought, and treacherous.  I know this from watching news about it.
     Now, the gun company is coming from Connecticut, which will bring some lousy paying jobs, probably.  We are up there with Texas in gun leniency laws, which is why it is coming here.  I have mixed feelings about guns.  I know that something is wrong with people easily getting assault weapons, and that does not make sense, but some say that the states with the strictest gun laws, are the states with the most gun violence.  I wanted to ask Congressman Rice, but they did not get to me, since he is who I learned about the gun factory coming from, what Congress intended to do to prevent gun violence.  They never got to my question, which I submitted to the secretary, who came on my line, during the call.  I know the answer, anyway.  It is nothing, just like Obama and Romney said, basically, in the debate.
      On the other hand, if poor people keep being kept down, and people cannot get jobs, they may end up needing those guns, to rise up against the government, which is very corrupt.  They give corporate welfare, and complain about someone buying junk food or lobster with food stamps.  So what.  What about all the stuff they do, bailing out huge corporations?  Does the little guy get a bail out?  Does the guy losing his house to foreclosure?  Does the single mother, raising children alone, on very little money, and barely enough to survive?  
     Some rich people sit in their ivory towers, with no knowledge or real understanding of what it is like to just survive.  Lucky for them.  
     Even rich kids, who protested Viet Nam, which was the most protested war ever, and well should have been, which went on about the same length technically, as Iraq, also an unjust war, I think, but even rich kids, back in the baby boomer era, whether Republican like Mitt Romney or liberal, like David Harris, who married Joan Baez, did not have to go to Viet Nam, because they had money and could go to college.  Of course, David Harris ended up, serving a prison sentence, another story.  
     
     

No comments:

Post a Comment